CAAA has analyzed proposed legislation that is expected to be introduced early the week of August 13th.
If you are a member login then click the button below to view the original draft.
We conclude that this proposed legislation is WORSE THAN SB 899!!!
There is very little time to stop this repeat of the same mistakes made in SB 899.
The measure is likely to surface in Sen. Ted Lieu's SB 863, and could be heard in the Senate Labor and Industrial Relations Committee as early as Wednesday, Aug. 15th.
The measure will be presented as a $700 million increase in permanent disability compensation in return for "efficiencies" in the system totaling $1.4 billion, according to WorkCompCentral.
However, very few injured workers will be able to obtain the increase in permanent disability compensation, because the bill ELIMINATES INJURED WORKERS' ABILITY TO PROVE LOST FUTURE EARNINGS AND LIMITS ANY PERMANENT DISABILITY RATING SOLELY TO THE AMA GUIDES.
THE MEASURE GIVES INSURANCE COMPANIES TOTAL CONTROL NOT ONLY OF MEDICAL CARE, BUT OF ALL ASPECTS OF AN INJURED WORKER'S MEDICAL-LEGAL CASE.
The following items that favor injured workers are gone:
- Diminished future earnings capacity
- Age modifications of permanent disability ratings
- Psychological damage from work injuries
- Sexual dysfunction damage from work injuries
- Sleep disorder damage from work injuries
- Cost of Living Admustments
- Compensable consequences of work injuries
- Agreed Medical Examiners
- Choice of interpreters for non-English speakers
- Choice of copy services to provide medical records
- Medical control of injured worker's treatment
If you don't have your legislator's contact information, find it here:
Don't let the horrors of SB 899 be repeated!
Contact your state legislator NOW. [Update. Click here to for sample letters provided our membership.]
Brad Chalk, Esq
President of California Applicants' Attorneys Association